The M2000AR is the world’s first waveguide based HD see-through augmented reality system designed to provide hands-free access to information and AR content in an industrial setting. M2000ARAs a research platform, the M2000AR is an invaluable tool for the development of AR applications targeted towards, maintenance and training personnel, heavy equipment operators and assembly workers – basically anyone who can utilize hands-free access to data and information systems while on the job – can benefit from the M2000AR.
Connected to virtually any video source with HDMI®-compliant output, the M2000AR serves as a mobile display system. Connect it to a Windows based PC and you are able to utilize its built-in HD USB camera for augmented or mixed reality applications. The transparent 720p HD display is the first to utilize a revolutionary new waveguide optical system that enables the user to see the world around them with data overlaid in full color, in their line of sight.
An electronic shutter enables control of exterior lighting enabling the M200AR to be used outdoors in full sunlight. The displayed image size appears similar to a 13” laptop at a typical viewing distance or a 64” widescreen display as seen at 10 ft. (~3m). The ruggedized housing and safety helmet (included) make the M2000AR ready to go in your tough research environment. Subject to change without notice.
The M2000AR’s monocular display utilizes Vuzix patented waveguide optics, able to display a full color image in a thin, lightweight display. Unlike previous see-through display systems, typically measuring more than 18.5mm in depth, the patented waveguide optics technology, jointly developed with Nokia®, measures only 1.4mm. In addition to this remarkable size and weight savings, the M2000AR is the first see-through HD display of its type to be released to the commercial markets. Originally developed for the military market, the M2000AR is the first AR system designed for real world “on the job” use.
Content can be viewed in full color or green monochrome with brightness adjustable up to 8,000 Nits. For comparison, typical desktop liquid crystal displays have luminances of 200 to 300 Nits and HDTVs range from 450 to about 1000 Nits. To further assist in outdoor readability, an electronic shutter can be employed manually or through software to control shading in front of the display, somewhat akin to adjustable sunglasses.
Job requirements and the people performing those jobs are different from one workplace to another and the M2000AR is designed for maximum adaptability. An adjustable and versatile mounting system enables the M2000AR to mount to a safety helmet (included) or other head-mount systems for either right or left eye viewing. The belt-worn Controller provides a rechargeable lithium ion battery that can be augmented by an external power supply for even the longest workday. A detachable electronic shutter enable virtually no tinting for indoor use or 45% – .01% opacity for outdoor use in bright sunlight with 255 tint increments. The HDMI interface supports video display from virtually any video source with HDMI video output. Developer support resources, including source code, enable flexibility in the development of software solutions.
Augmented reality relies upon target or marker acquisition but possibly your camera needs are for remote viewing, video capture or something even more exotic. A built-in HD camera allows up to 5 megapixel still image capture or video capture at up to 83 fps (VGA resolution). The camera is Windows Direct Show compatible and utilizes a USB 2.0 connection to the host device.
Motion or head tracking is provided through a series of nine (9) sensors. Gyroscopes, accelerometers and magnetic field sensors that enable your applications to be aware and respond to the users head orientation and movement.
- Optical see-through ~80% optical transmission of outside world)
- Selectable, full color or monochrome
- 1280 x 720 (720p) HD Resolution
- 30 degree diagonal field of view
- Virtual screen equivalent to 13” laptop at 24” or a 64” display as seen at 10 ft. (~3m)
- 40 in. display to Controller cable
- 4-button video display controls
- Rechargeable lithium ion battery
- Controller belt clip
- Input / Output Ports:
- 1, Video (HDMI type A)
- 2, USB 2.0 peripheral ports
- 1, USB 2.0 host connection
- 1, Charge jack – 15v DC power source
- External power jack
- Components (Other)
- Ruggedized display and camera housing
- High Definition Multimedia Interface (not HDCP compliant)
- HDMI type A connector
- 5 megapixel camera
- 4:3 aspect ratio
- High speed video capture (up to 83 fps, VGA)
- Windows Direct Show compatible
- Removable electronic shutter
- 45% – .01% optical transmission of outside world
- 6 tint increments through Controller
- 255 tint increments through host USB interface
- Orientation sensors
- 3 Axis Gyroscope
- 3 Axis Accelerometers
- 3 Axis Magnetic field
- 2-3 hour battery life (in full operation)
- Rechargeable lithium power pack
- Auxiliary power pack connection (external battery pack not included)
- Head mount harness and options
- Left or right eye mounting
- Safety helmet included
- Software (Download, English interface only)
- Software interface examples with source code available
- Camera drivers with Direct Show filter
- Documentation (English only)
- Quick Start Guide
- User Manual (PDF format)